To strengthen democratic structures, build power among disenfranchised communities, and inspire confidence in a transformed political process that works for all.
- Our state’s democratic structures and policies are a national model, ensuring voting access and fair representation for every North Carolinian— especially the Black, brown, and low-wealth people who have been the targets of voter suppression.
- Existing and emerging community activists, leaders, coalitions, and partners work together to strategically build power and expand participation.
- People believe that true democracy is possible and worth the work.
- We value equity as both the foundational principle that embodies the outcomes we seek to produce and the process by which we work to achieve them.
- We believe that inclusive collaboration respects all voices but specifically lifts up those who have been historically marginalized.
- We believe that dismantling systemic racism and white supremacy benefits all individuals and communities.
- We believe that leaders build power for others, not themselves.
- We seek to be a trusted partner in building community-level power across all lines, including class, race, and generation.
- We value the expertise that people have in their own communities, and will adapt our role to ensure they thrive as leaders.
- We believe in leading with the heart first. All of the work we do is to better the day-to-day lives of all North Carolinians.
- We recognize that we must listen and learn from others, and we seek continuous improvement and growth as an organization.
- We believe that communities and individuals must build and exercise power with humility and understanding.
- We believe in standing up for our principles and communities, and for pursuing our particular work in service of a just and equitable democracy.
- We believe in building the trust and ability of our staff, advocates, supporters, partners, and the general public by exchanging knowledge, creating shared experiences, and practicing transparency.
- We are accountable to each other, the communities we serve, and we hold elected officials accountable to those we serve.